Friday, September 07, 2007

One-Hundred Word Story



~Once upon a time there lived a man who had two wolves chained to a tree. A girl and her baby came to visit the man. As she turned to hug the man she lowered the child to the ground. Being a curious lad he crawled to the wolves. The wolves thinking they had just been given a gift, picked him up and trotted behind the tree.

As I listened to this story I was so shocked about the baby's fate that I forgot the rest of the story. So forever after the child is in the wolves grinning mouths.~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the night the wolf appeared
first as a musty smell
he roamed wearily
in my dim dreams
he inhabited my waking
by first light
his second tell
tracks in the mud
scat boldly deposited

following nights
I laid awake waiting
for the breath of noise
an unseen movement
the crack of a twig

I lost a week
then fainted
flashes of blue black shine
long canines
garnet red eye
I'm dream walking
spray can in hand
like automatic writing
I released him onto the
red clay brick wall

*******
danced around black fir
my feet flew faster
than you could run

sleek body blur
a red eye
lingered

I dreamed of you
nightly
rapacious spirit

1 comment:

botz said...

the child looked right in the throat of the husky-wolf without a speck of fear as his body was lifted up and traveled to a new place...just the outrageous and natural, open mind of an inexperienced child...wide open to it all, he merrily trotted along.

the girl and the man with bare hands pried open the jaws of the wolf beginning his dinner on my child...sorry pal, not this time. to this day that child is not a speck afraid of dogs whatsoever. sweet.